Have you ever thought about what sets a good leader apart from a bad one? Well, I am sure you have… I think about this all the time!
I have listed below what makes a poor leader and why you should stay the hell away from these common mistakes/attributes…
- Fear – any leader who is scared of getting into trouble or getting fired isn’t anyone you want to work for, or with. Anyone who is over protective of their own job has chip on their shoulders… Fear and leadership don’t go together. As a leader you have to dare to make tough decisions that could end up with you getting fired. If not, don’t be a leader… be a follower. Playing it safe will not earn you any gold stars! Take risks and promote big swings!
- Delegation – a strong leader is someone who knows to delegate decisions at all times. Having the notion that you know better, can do better or are better works in a one-man show… but not in a leadership situation. I promote delegation at all times. I want decisions to be made as low as possible in the chain of command. This is the only way to build people and to spend a sound amount of time on the things that really makes a difference.
- Succession – What could be more important to a leader than who will succeed who? Nothing! Any leader who does not spend enough time and energy on this is working the wrong angle… I promote working with an A, B and C option at all times. For this to work, you need to constantly be hiring… Putting a stop to hiring new team members is never the answer, even if you want to save money… Don’t save here! The British expression ‘Penny wise and Pound foolish’ applies to getting the best on board… You pay peanuts, you get monkeys….! Focus!
- Centralization – This can kill the lifeblood of any organization. I don’t give a toss about what reasons you may have. A Head-offices is a necessary evil and to build large support functions never work in your favor. Making decisions as close as possible to the core of the problem or situation is always a better option. I would promote disbanding head-offices… Head-offices are normally full of a bunch of people who spend most of their time justifying why they have a job. Be smart, be fast and be agile… Get rid of centralized decision making!
- Positive Environments – Is there anything more tedious than to work for a mediocre and boring boss? As a Leader you have to create an environment of positivity and excitement. An environment of success and can-do spirit. You are in charge. Take charge in a positive manner and create a culture of success and recognition! You will get so much more out of people if they feel appreciated and valued at the same time as they feel that the culture you build is one of hard work and fun! Yes, you can have both!
Above are 5 easy steps to world class leadership… Are you ready to commit?
Gracias a la vida!